Friday, April 22, 2011

FAQ: Getting Uncomfortable + Lenses

Courtney asks:
What's in your camera bag?

I'm a huge fan of fixed lenses, they have changed the look, feel, and style of my photography an I believe everyone should try a fixed lens sometime during their photo career.
- 50mm 1.8
-28mm 1.8
-55mm-200mm 3.5-4.6
- 18mm-55mm 3.5 (kit lens)

Personally, I don't use my telephoto lens or my kit lens anymore.
I'm looking to sell them, if anyone wants the telephoto. email me for more details!
info@simplydphoto.com

Anyways, currently, I have been using my 28mm for everything. I adore it
and the quality of sharpness it gives me! When I started out, I used my kit lens than bought the telephoto and I was like, "yes, seriously! This is amazing, I can be 100 feet away from my clients and photograph them, and hope they don't hear me!" Andrew would tell me, "no, Diana, you don't want that, trust me." Did I listen? Nope, I showed up to photograph him from 100 feet away and was like check out my amazing new lens!

Jasmine Star always says, get uncomfortable and that will get you far. When I did get my 50mm, I felt so weird, I couldn't zoom in on my clients, I had to talk to them? I was so shy! Beyond belief and it was quite sad. With my 50mm, I was forced to engage with my clients, oh yes, the horror.
I am totally kidding, it is not horrible, but it was at the moment, because it made me feel so uncomfortable and shy.
Having that lens did change everything, now I am all up on everyone's business, you know. Getting way too close for comfort and asking, is this too close? ha!
I know you didn't ask for a backstory, but I went through this and many others have too, so I hope this helps if you are in that situation.

Kelsey asks:
How do you get your clients to be so comfortable in front
of you and look natural?


This refers back to my first answer on here, kinda. Personally, I am naturally a dorky person and I love making people laugh, so when I do pose them I show them how I want to pose them, so they have a visual for what they should be doing and they understand what I am saying. Sometimes, I talk so fast that I am so incoherent at times. I believe, that showing your client and giving them clear directions gives you and your client the best results. As far as having them look natural, well like I said before I am fairly dorky and I say dumb things sometimes that gets me a few laughs here and a few giggles there and it's so much fun! My goal is to make them feel as comfortable as they can be. When I meet with them, I feel like I am hanging with my best friends and it helps me to be at ease with my clients. If you go in thinking the photo shoot will turn out bad, it most likely will.


Kelsey Asks:
When in the shade, do you face the subject towards the light or
have the sun behind them?

When I photograph in the shade, it does help to face them toward the sun, if the setting and situation is right. I try to make sure my background is shaded as well, so my background doesn't get blown out, with the settings I have. (I will talk about setting your camera in Manuel in a later post)! When you do have your clients in the shade and you have them face toward the sun, you will have gorgeous catchlights in their eyes and it makes every photo a lot more appealing.

After all, we all love looking at the eyes first, at least that's where our eyes land first when we look at a photograph. If you want to have a flare in your shot, than make sure you have your client facing you with their back to the sun. Sun flares can be very gorgeous and tons of fun!

Alicia Asks:
When you shoot in the shade, do you use flash?

The answer is no, but that is just my style and it doesn't mean it's right or wrong, it's just the style I prefer. When I photograph in the shade, I have the best possible lighting and don't need a flash. To be honest, the only time I use a flash is for wedding receptions and wedding ceremonies if they are during the night or the church is a tad too dark.


I would love to hear from you and know what you think of the posts, if they are helpful or not. I know I blab alot, so if you want a short answer, let me know. I just talk too much, so I like to write alot. So let me know what I can change or if you have other questions you want answered, I would love to help out in any way! You can send me questions through the comment box below, or through my facebook wall, or through email.

Have a happy Friday!

-Diana

0 comments:

Post a Comment